What Are Essential Oils?



I've wondered and heard about essential oils and their benefits. I am always seeking out alternative things as I try really hard to get away from the "processed world" if you will. I like to seek out beneficial things for my family as well.  I was invited to and also saw a posting on Facebook about a "class" on essential oils. I got excited and decided to attend this class. While the moderator was very kind and her presentation was good, and she did dispell some valuable educational material about essential oils themselves, alas, it was just a selling tactic for her distributorship.

Needlesstosay, I left feeling less educated and more "had" than anything! I knew I had to start doing my own research. I set off on my mission. Here are a few things I found out. I hope this might answer some questions you have about your own.

Essential oils have been used for thousands of years. We know that many cultures have used them. Then, each culture that used them did use them differently and processed them differently as well. Most used them for medicinal reasons or religious/healing reasons.

Essential oils have benefits because the oils are extracted straight from flowers, bark, roots, leaves or peels. They contain concentrated natural forming compounds that contain known antioxidants, antimicrobial, and anti-inflammatory properties. Nearly all of these oils carry no side effects and are tolerated well by most people.

So how does one make beneficial essential oils? There are three ways they are made: steam distillation, expression/cold pressed, or extraction. While they are possible to make yourself, each one of these methods is extremely difficult. There are methods that use your home crockpot overnight or even grinding the plant up and placing in a linen bag and let simmer for 24 hours!*also these are not for any consumption! These methods mentioned also reduce the viability and benefit of the essential oil!

So, I really did learn something...although I'm really crafty, I have to leave this up to the professionals!
Image result for picture of herbs

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dimethicone: Chemical Gets A Bad Rap

Deadliest Record-Breaking Cold Weather Is Dangerous

Magnolias In My Kitchen Very Simple Flower Centerpiece