Making Upcycle Jewelry Craft

 

One Finished Upcycle necklace

My motto is is "When at first you don't see, just make it!" When I was a little girl I was an up-cycler and didn't know it. Who hasn't made Barbie clothes from other Barbie clothes, or used a mug for a small plant or given a gift that was a received gift with "enhancements" added. I also love to embellish things. Today, feeling in the doldrums because it's too hot to be outside, I decided to up-cycle a couple necklaces.

I love it when I make something and I'm out somewhere and someone approaches and says wow, where did you get that necklace? Most likely I have up-cycled onto it or used parts of other jewelry to make this one-of-a-kind piece. I get to say, "I made this!". That feeling is exhilarating. (I think this is how most mom entrepreneurs start.) At any rate, if I am making a piece of jewelry for someone I might sketch the idea on paper, or if I am making something for someone special I may go and buy a charm or chain geared toward that person. But otherwise, I always tell you to first shop your own home...in this case your own jewelry box.

So today The first necklace I'll show you is made from bits and pieces together to form the necklace. I took a simple broken chain, I added a strand of butterflies that I had sitting in a container that was going to become a bracelet that I never made, and a flowered"transition" piece that joins the two pieces together, and finally two simple jump rings. This is a matter of joining all the pieces together to form the necklace. 

Planning the design, seeing how things will fit together

This necklace is very gift-worthy. If I was going to give it to someone, I would dress it up in a pretty decoupage box or fancy jewelry bag. 


This piece is the "transition" piece, it gathers the two sides together

These two little rings are called jump rings they go onto the transition piece to join all pieces of the jewelry together.

Finished necklace.
The next necklace I made was simply to add a charm onto an old dated "bar necklace" that is costume jewelry at its finest. I'm pretty sure that this is dated around the 1980s 😏 This may still become a possible bracelet in the future, but today it's an upcycled necklace.

It's a shorter tricolored junk necklace and the charm picks up the green rhinestones and will lengthen the appearance. I will join the already available jump ring onto the middle of the necklace center. I will crimp it tightly there so it won't move back and forth when I move.

Pretty and different


Finished Piece and it's one-of-a-kind

Remember to always shop your house, you'd be surprised what you can repurpose These two necklaces could make very nice gifts with zero cost to me, and minimal time is taken to make them. It is suggested that you use jewelry tools because it is easy to open and close jump rings with them. It is also wise to use these below.

Magnifying glasses said the wise old owl!


Have a superior day making gifts for yourself and for your friends.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dimethicone: Chemical Gets A Bad Rap

Deadliest Record-Breaking Cold Weather Is Dangerous

Magnolias In My Kitchen Very Simple Flower Centerpiece