Keto Guacamole Recipe & Avocado Tips & Tricks

 

Keto-Friendly Guacamole Recipe &Avocado Tips and Tricks

It’s no secret that I love using fresh fruit and veggies wherever possible. Summer is coming to a close and a bumper crop of tomatoes and other veggies are coming in. So whenever I get the opportunity to cook with fresh foods, it’s my first choice.

I do not like to be wasteful. I try my hardest to incorporate my purchases or freshly grown veggies into luscious recipes that my whole family will enjoy.

Undoubtedly, I often purchase too many avocados, and when life gives you too many avocados, everyone knows you make guacamole!

Avocado Tips and Recipe Tricks

Here are just some of the avocado tips and tricks that I have learned the hard way over the years because I buy way too many and have had to waste way too many.

1. When shopping for fresh fruits and veggies, don’t be shy about touching them. One can see, smell, and of course feel an avocado. If it is mushy, do not buy this one. Look also at the end of the avocado; make sure it has that little “stem” attached. It is a fresher option. It is ok to buy different freshness. If you use them right away you can purchase one that is very ripe, but if not you can purchase them slightly harder. *Avocado typically lasts only 3-5 days* Gather them together and put them in a plastic bag in the refrigerator if you can’t use them right away.

2. You are not a culinary expert, (maybe you are and you like my recipes, I won’t judge LOL J) so there is no need to do the knife pit removal on your avocado!  Just gently squeeze your avocado and the pit will pop up.


just a gentle squeeze

3. Browning is a big issue once an avocado is cut. You can squirt or rub lemon or lime juice over the cut slice and store face down, in the refrigerator. I have also heard that you can store a cut onion with sliced avocado (in the skin) and that will keep them from browning. *I have not personally done that one*, nonetheless I thought it interesting.

4. Avocados can be used as a dairy-free substitute for butter and oils, in things like cake, cookies, brownies, and muffins. I assume it will also create nice moisture in a recipe.

5. Did you know that you can freeze avocados? My own mother used to do this and I never paid it any mind until a blogger recently repeated this on a YouTube video and I thought…My mom used to do that! Simply once sliced, coat the avocado in lemon juice and place face-down in freeze until it is hard solid frozen, then insert into a freezer bag and put back in freezer; use when needed.

6. Finally, another quick tip I learned is if you did buy a very hard avocado because it is not ripened,  simply wrap the entire avocado in aluminum foil and bake in a 200 degrees preheated oven for about 10 minutes. *This is only useful if you will eat that avocado that day*.

 Here’s my Keto-Friendly Guacamole Recipe


gathering ingredients


Need:

4 ripe avocados

2 tbsp. sour cream (for added creaminess)

½ of medium red onion (give or take I use a heaping ½ C of coarsely diced)

1 Roma tomato (coarsely diced)

1 clove garlic (if none on hand can use powder about 1 tbsp. or so)

¼ C cilantro (fresh is best if you can)

1 lime (for juice)

1 tsp cumin

Salt to taste

Up to ½ jalapeno (optional)

 

Directions:

1. In mixing bowl slice and remove stones and remove all the flesh into mixing bowl.

2. Mash with a fork or muddler (some people use a processor here we love our texture)*the method you love is the right one.

coursely mashed



3. Stir in the sour cream


Add in sour cream

4. Dice tomato and the onion (again we love our texture the dice can be course)

5. Mince cilantro, jalapeno, and the garlic (our kids don’t like the hot so we omit them, no biggie)

6. Squeeze juice of ½ lime (or use up to 2 TBSP of bought lime juice) into the bowl, add the tsp of cumin and I use Himalayan salt (optional)

Stir to incorporate all ingredients. Make sure all is spread through evenly. You don’t need to pulverize the avocado to death.

Here are some of the details there is approximately 141 calories here with a total fat of about 12 g, there are no trans fats, approximately 10 g unsaturated fats, about 66 mg of sodium., about 9 g of carbs, with 6 g of fiber. This will have about 3 g net carbs.  This recipe is great for anyone seeking to incorporate avocados in their diet.

One can dip fresh veggies and the proverbial tortilla chips, but if seeking a low carb option use veggies and pork rinds.

Enjoy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dimethicone: Chemical Gets A Bad Rap

Deadliest Record-Breaking Cold Weather Is Dangerous

Magnolias In My Kitchen Very Simple Flower Centerpiece