Easy Twig Star DIY 4th of July Decoration




I love decorating for the 4th of July. Usually, I'd have people over either the 3rd of July or on the 4th itself. This year is different, because of Covid19, the celebrations will be on the down-low. I still love to have decor with the red white and blue and the American flags everywhere as well as something on the front door to be seen from the street. But again, this year is different. I'll put up what is still useable from years past, but adding in new things without buying anything is the ultimate upcycle move, and I saw something on another blog and I thought I can make that! If I could remember who that was I'd credit that blogger. (my memory is so short these days) 

Enter the twig star.   This craft is so super easy and involves only what you may have on-hand, and thank goodness for the big thunderstorm we just had because my yard is riddled with sticks and twigs. I went around and assembled a large pile of twigs. From those, I'll pick out enough to make some stars.




Most of the twigs were bent or not long enough, for this craft, but I did manage to get enough twigs to be able to make 1 (one)large star and 2 (two) little stars.

Each star will require 5 nearly the same length twigs. (of course, you can cut them down, it's better that the twigs be a bit longer than is needed). Once twigs are lined up by length you can start to arrange them. 

Putting them together can be like a puzzle. Continue to play with them until you get what you like. Just know that they will not be perfectly shaped, in other words, one point may be larger than another. They look like old-time Americana. I had heard somewhere that twig stars were made in Scandinavia as traditional decoration.




Arranging a star  I like this one.



Directions

Step 1. After playing around with the sticks, I will use hot glue to hold them together shape-wise. Some of the twigs were bent or not laying flat and will need a dot of hot glue here and there to reinforce the twigs. 


hot glued end because they were very twisted and did not meet each other at all.


Step 2. I will then wrap the points with a festive ribbon. One can use, red glitter, blue glitter, or colorful sequins, even beads are great ideas.  Or if the points were too tiny I will just use the glitter or adorn with some buttons.  One can wrap ends using the over and under method if you use a string type ribbon. For the purpose of this craft, I will just wrap the ends.






red string and a pompon trim roll bought a long while ago, I will use these and some blue satin ribbon I found in my container of ribbons. All of these I have on-hand! I did not buy anything for this project!

silver glitter
*See this star I wound the string around the points and hot glued the ends so they'd stay. Then I simply grazed the glue stick along the twig and even on the string. Then I poured on the silver glitter.






*I love summer because I love working outside. Here when the glue stick I used became tacky and I went to the backyard and poured on the glitter. I love not having to get glitter all over my house. I love to hate glitter.! Snicker😍


Step 3. Once everything is all dry, this craft can be used on your mantle lined up, or integrate into a table centerpiece or tablescape. The usage of these stars would be endless, see some of my ideas down below.




I apologize for the overly sunny picture, these are so cute in person! 
The glitters really look nice.


Other ideas

*I think this would be cute in a centerpiece by hot gluing the small star lightly onto a striped straw and inserted into the flowers or centerpiece!

*Another Idea I had is to hang them by one of the points with twine at varying lengths from a larger stick for a very artful wall piece. 


*I can see where these little stars can be adapted to make Christmas tree decorations by glittering the points or using fake snow on them and then hanging them on a tree or in a window. Perhaps we will revisit this craft in November along with my pine cone crafts coming then.

**As you know your creativity is free and is a limitless resource.**


Here's a CHALLENGE for you.

Have fun with this little craft and if you do this craft please take a picture of it and send it to my account email and I will post it here and give you a shout out.!!! Send to beautyisabeast13@gmail.com 


Lastly, don't forget to hit the follow button up above.


Happy 4th of July!

This became the blue ribbon star



Finished pieces!  So Adorable!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dimethicone: Chemical Gets A Bad Rap

Deadliest Record-Breaking Cold Weather Is Dangerous

Magnolias In My Kitchen Very Simple Flower Centerpiece