Mamma And My Fragrant Kitchen

Who knew I'd be making soup in Spring? Well it's May 1st and it's still chilly out,the temps near me a high of 48 degrees and it's cloudy, overcast and feels more like Fall than late Spring. So when I'm feeling blase' I hit the kitchen. I figured I had enough pantry items on-hand to make my family a simple chicken noodle soup. I'll share my pictures and mini recipe here, but before I do as an aside...I kept thinking about my mother; her heavenly birthday just passed us by and since then she's been in my thoughts, and she left me with the fragrant food memories.
Here's a photo of my mom in the late 1960's (I think).
She loved flowers and I inturn also love them. (Again, with the fragrance) I love looking out at my window and seeing this beauty everyday. But anyway back to soup and mom leaving a legacy of creativity in the kitchen. The oven and the stove boiling over all the time with the homemade goodness. I remember when we used to cook whole chickens and cut up chickens when we made homemade fried chicken. Does anyone do that anymore? Ah, I'm as lazy as the next guy as I rumble through the Popeyes's and Kentucky Fried Chicken drive-thru! I remember when mamma used to boil the whole chicken carcass and the stock made was for soup. For this post and because I wanted to make a quick soup I'm using ready-made stock, I use the low salt version alot and for us Keto peeps I do often use bone broth as a stock to create a best version of keto soup. I was a young girl watching my mom make everything in the kitchen, most times there wasn't even a real and true recipe. Recipes were word-of-mouth passed down by generations or written on a napkin from memory. A lot of times my mom would give me a recipe with abbreviations on them; her personal shorthand. I had to call her and ask what was meant by this or that and she literally couldn't remember. Somehow everything was good and tasted great, no one ever left our home hungry ever! So whether it was chicken noodle soup or pastina, or minnestrone or pasta fagioli our tummies always were happy and full. So whatever your family eats here's a quick La Zuppa for you.
Here's the verbal version in written form... chop up what you have on-hand...carrots,bits of potato,kale,celery,onion,left over chicken and whatever is in the refrigerator goes in if you like it. (this is known in my house as the kitchen sink) Chop and dice make sure you have at least a cup of each, this way every spoonful has a taste of vegetables. After you cut everything you put it in a big pot (stock pot) and use a bit of oil or a couple pats of butter to sautee veggies and onion is clear. See below:
Next add your stock
Add spices like parsley,salt,pepper, garlic, egg noodles or whatever your mom tells you too! Let this come up to a simmer for a few minutes and it will be ready when you are ready to serve it. Perhaps with the homemade bread my mom made us, but that will be for another time. Haha anyway... Soup on the stove will warm your your heart and your soul with the fragrant scent of love and this will help you savour the legacy left to you by your parents as the kitchen fills with the blooming of the next generation of hungry tummies that appear there!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dimethicone: Chemical Gets A Bad Rap

Deadliest Record-Breaking Cold Weather Is Dangerous

Magnolias In My Kitchen Very Simple Flower Centerpiece