Deconstructed Jean Jacket

Fashion is about style. Fashion changes often, but each time fashion changes they don't invent a new wheel; fashion just evolves and is embellished upon what came before it.
For this post i'm taking my decent but outdated denim jean jacket and I'll be updating it by decontructing it. I've owned this jean jacket quite a long time and I'm gauaranteeing that I have worn it only once. Hopefully once done with this project, I'll love to wear this jacket with every outfit. This is an easy craft to do, especially since there is no sewing involved. Denim that is 100% cotton frays like a dream. If you are thrifting an item, try to make sure to look for 100% cotton so that your deconstruction project will be easy. I decided that once I saw these particular designer denim jackets with similar styling (i.e. two pockets on chest, that I could "match" them). I was also astonished at the prices for these deconstructed jean jackets were going for! (see my photos below of examples) 1)
3)
The Maison Margiela (1) is for sale at $1,624.65 and the 2nd Maison is priced at $918.98 and on the lower end the third picture of the Frayed Edge Denim Jacket from 7 For All Mankind is going for a mere $99.95. I believe that my denim jacket was a lowly $12.99! So as you can see my idea of the collarless jacket did elevate my denim jacket to take on a more elegant look, instead of it looking haggart and old, the fraying gave it a "now" updated look. I thought about "cropping" the jacket as well, because this style is a big current trend, but I felt as quickly as that trend came, it could be gone that quickly as well. Lastly, I thought about my age approriatness and also how I wanted to wear this jacket. I felt that if the jacket was too cropped it may not look good with a dress or skirt and feel too teenage-like. Finally, the sleeves to this jacket are strangley sewn, and the sleeves fit weirdly on both arms, perhaps losing the cuffs will help that, but I think that may be a project for another time.
Directions: Step 1) Make sure your jacket has been laundered and is clean. Lay out the garment on the table and take a few minutes to "plan" what you will do. (about 5 minutes)It is easier to "cut" less of it, than having cut something off and ruining it. Upon true inspection of my jacket I see I don't like the cuffs too and I want to cut along the seam line because there is already a vent by the buttons making this a perfect area to cut as well. I am hoping this will also improve the "funny" sewing in the arms but we will see on that one.
My plans for the jackets are, remove collar, remove cuffs up to the vent, cut and shred the front bottom seam up to the side buttons and shred the ends of both chest pockets.
Super easy! Use your best sharp scissors. Cut along the double material usually located just above each of the seams. For me it was like that the entire jacket. I simply cut just above the seams and it started fraying immediately!
It took me all of about 5 minutes to make all the cuts. So far this project took about 10 minutes. Step 2) I then washed and dryed the jacket in two (2) loads of wash/dry cycles and that was it! I pulled or cut any of the fray that I thought was excessive.It frayed naturally beautifully! I brought this jacket from frumpy to elegant designer in 10 minutes and 2 wash loads!
Here I have stylized it below, check it out! If you like it let me know. If you did it share your experience send a message to the email i'd love to hear your thoughts.
The jewelry in the picture is none other than my upcycled jewels from https://www.etsy.com/shop/MaryMerryStudio?ref=simple-shop-header-name&listing_id=1056181929 Don't forget to order some and support my small biz!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dimethicone: Chemical Gets A Bad Rap

Deadliest Record-Breaking Cold Weather Is Dangerous

Magnolias In My Kitchen Very Simple Flower Centerpiece