Happy May Day & Tobacco Basket Door Hanging Craft

MaryCaliendoPhoto2019
May Day is a celebration that welcomes Spring! May Day was an old tradition that was celebrated during the 19th-20th centuries, especially for children and sweethearts. It celebrates happy times and all that's new and blooming.

It was often celebrated with song and dance and involved the crowning of a May Queen. The dancing was performed around a decorated "maypole" in which ornate or colorful long ribbons or streamers were suspended. This dance centered around fertility and was often based steeped in folk or ancient traditions and clothing.
Dancing the Maypole – A History of Beltane/May Day, part three ...
Pinterest.com
The dance often culminated in an intricate woven or braided decoration. The maypole was often located in a town square or park and left for all to see. Finally, a little basket filled with treats and little flowers would be left on a doorstep or on the doorknob of others anonymously, or with an attention-getting knock and "runaway" leaving the recipient with smiles.

Who says we have to leave this tradition behind?

Especially during times like today, leaving a smile on family or friends doorstep will make this Spring slightly happier.

May Day Flower D.I.Y.

Assemble your own May Day surprise to pass out or just make one to welcome Spring and newfound happiness for your front door.

For the front door, anything you want to use to suspend from a wreath hanger can be used. I have seen a flower arrangement emerging from a cute umbrella, or a simple large piece of burlap wrapped with ribbon and filled with flowers (although this should be placed in a covered area, I think that a rainstorm would ruin your arrangement/wreath). I thought it was also very adorable a green lawn hose wound with (zip ties first) bright spring ribbons and flowers inserted every so often!  So Cute.

For today's May Day post. I will do a very simple tobacco basket adorned and wrapped with magnolia, lambs ear, and thin purple ribbon. I'll hang it from a simple wreath hook from my front door.

As many of you know, I love to interchange everything I have in my home. Over the years I have created so many seasonal wreaths and centerpieces, that I can borrow from something once created and make it into something new or renewed.  I have containers that I keep little bits of ribbon or leaves and small flowers in and you'd be surprised how this comes in handy for little things like homemade cards and tags, to gift wrapping and small embellishments on homemade barrettes for example.

Here's what I used today:
24" white oval/rectangle tobacco basket
One stem magnolia (3 blooms 3 leaves)
lambs ear  garland about 24"




















Now, I'm at the planning stage, I simply set the flowers ontop the basket to see where I wanted to place them.
Here are some supplies that I may use. Of late, I have been in love with using zip ties, it is easy, stays strong and immoveable, and if I also decide to remove something I did I just have to snip it right off.
For my project today, I only used the zip ties, so easy!
I love easy. I then simply wrapped the stem with the lamb's ear garland and then I will fluff and make sure a lot of the leaves will lay gracefully.

Wrapping the ribbon (I love purple), first tie on the lamb's ear to the flower stem and wrap, fluffing along the way.
simple tie-on
cascade down the length of flower/wrap
made a simple wreath hanger


I used this  zip tie to attach the flower arrangement



Here's the final product picture of the wreath hanging on my door.



Here's a quick D.I.Y. Mayday basket to give, again using supplies and individually wrapped candy I had on-hand. I created a  very simple bouquet, then inserted it into the little basket and simply put the hard candies inside. 
I cut these little flowers and wrapped the stems in a bit of ribbon
so cute
Dainty! 
May Day Tags Free Printable | May baskets, May day baskets ...
cute little tags copy & paste, put cardboard or co
ard stock in between and glue or mod podge

Ready to go holler May Day! Happy Spring!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dimethicone: Chemical Gets A Bad Rap

Deadliest Record-Breaking Cold Weather Is Dangerous

Magnolias In My Kitchen Very Simple Flower Centerpiece