The Fairy Garden

There's something enchanting about a mini fairy garden. I have always loved the world of miniatures for as long as I could remember and since my grandfather built me a real dollhouse at around the age of ten or so. It is a grand dollhouse and I still have it intact like the day he presented me with it. It currently, however, resides in my basement still wrapped in plastic wrap from a move sixteen years ago!
I am going to revive it this year, and that will be a series of stories for another time.

Stunning details, moving windows can't wait to work on this and show you!


What I Bought

So back to a smaller level, I bought some oddball succulents and a couple of mini fairy garden pieces at my local garden shop. The cost involved, just under $20.00, each succulent was $1.25 (the three hens n chicks were sold as a trio) and the fairy pieces were $14.99.(the set had two mini chairs, 1 fairy, 1 trellis, 1 cobblestone walkway, and 1 fairy house) not great but cute enough.







Putting It Together

On hand, I had a large broken plastic pot that I was considering throwing away, some topsoil, fertilized potting mix, and this cactus mix (which is a mixture of sand, very small wood chips, and small stones.)







I mixed all three types of dirt together and filled the large pot to the rim.


Planting

Succulents are a low maintenance plant, often found in warm climates as they are drought tolerant.
They do not enjoy the cold, and they like to have dry soil in between waterings. I live in the midwest and as soon as I planted these naturally it's been raining and quite cool with high temps in the 70's and low's as low as 50's, yikes! I hope they'll survive!

To create the garden, I placed the succulents like they would be the fairy's trees and the rest simply where I thought they'd look cute. (It was so windy the day I did this, the little cobblestone walkway Blew away, and I haven't the faintest where it went!)












Now when my grandkids come by I hope I will inspire their sense of wonder and awe, and that they too would be enchanted as I once was and find I still am.  A sense of beauty in a mini world.

Comments

  1. Oh I love a good fairy garden! I can't wait to see the doll house transformation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading! I was correct the three hens n Chicks did not make it, it got too cold and rainy, I'll replace at a nice garden center near my home.
      And the doll house is fabulous inside already my grandfather was a wood carver and did a stunning job. I hope to restart my design and collecting during the holidays. I thought it would be cool to start with a Christmas decorated doll house! I too can't wait. Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Dimethicone: Chemical Gets A Bad Rap

Deadliest Record-Breaking Cold Weather Is Dangerous

Magnolias In My Kitchen Very Simple Flower Centerpiece